Join the Program
Working closely with biologists, volunteers and Piping Plover Guardians play a lead role in the recovery of Piping Plovers.
Who can participate?
Anyone who has a passion for their local beach and enjoys watching wildlife
What is the cost of participating?
At least 1 to 10 hours of your time per year.
What do volunteers do?
- Patrol beaches that have nesting plovers
- Help protect nesting habitat by setting up signs and rope
- Collect info on plover presence, plover predators, and human use of plover beaches
- Help biologists save nests from flooding
- Conduct beach clean-ups on plover beaches in March and April Help with community outreach events in spring & summer
- Share plover-friendly tips with beach-goers, such as:
Keep clear of signs marking sensitive nesting areas;
Walk on the wet sand;
Keep pets leashed;
Take food and trash off the beach;
Do not drive off-road vehicles on beaches and dunes.
If volunteers can commit more time, they are given extra training to assist biologists with plover protection and monitoring activities, such as:
Conduct regular nest and chick checks at specific beaches in coordination with biologists.
We need new volunteers! To join the program, contact the program coordinator at:
Bird Studies Canada
c/o Environment Canada
16th floor 45 Alderney Dr.
Dartmouth, NS B2Y 2N6
Phone/voicemail: (902) 426-4055 Fax: (902) 426-6434